How to shingle a roof with architectural shingles
If you are thinking of installing shingles on your roof, then you should think of installing architectural shingles, as these can provide a great look to your roof and exterior. Having this type of shingles on your roof can also add to your property value more than the traditional shingles. These shingles are having heavier base as compare to asphalt shingles. Another thing that you have to know about architectural shingles is that these are also 20 percent more in cost than normal shingles, but the manufacturers will provide you a warranty of over 25 years for these. So you have to think about installing these on your roof than to go for normal traditional shingles.
Good thing about these architectural shingles is that you can install these easily by yourself. You don`t need to hire the services of any professional company to get these installed if you know proper material required and steps to follow. So if you are thinking on the same lines, following are the steps that have to be taken for how to shingle a roof with architectural shingles.
First of all you need to know the material that is required to take up the task. Following is the list of all those things that you require to arrange before starting this project.
- Architectural shingles
- Utility Knife
Steps to follow shingle a roof with architectural shingles.
Once you arrange the above mentioned material then you have to follow these steps to shingle a roof with architectural shingles.
- Your shingle roof must not have any two simultaneous rows where shingles are placed exactly the same way. It will not give a good look.
- You should start laying the shingles from the lower left corner on your roof. This row that you have placed should be half an inch over eaves. You have to nail down the shingles as you move forward.
- The next row of shingles should be placed directly above the first row, which makes it two tiles thick.
- When you are placing the shingles on the top row, you need to cut it 6 inches, from the left corner with the help of utility knife. You should place the whole shingle after that. Carry on with placing complete shingles unless your row completes. While moving forward you should put on the nails on shingles to secure these.
- The next row of shingles should be placed in such a way that it will overlap the previous row.
- You should continue laying down the shingles in same way unless you reach the top of your roof.
- After completing one side follow the same process on the other side.
- You require overlapping shingles at the top of roof, where both sides met. Put on the nails so that shingles are firmly in place.
These are the steps that you have to follow for how to shingle a roof with architectural shingles. The procedure is simple and easy, you just have to be focused and careful to get the best result.